Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Review: Heavenly by Jennifer Laurens

Heavenly
Title: Heavenly
Author: Jennifer Laurens
Paperback: 294 pages
Published: August 2009
Reading Level: YA/Adult
My Copy: Around the World Tours
My rating: 4.5 out of 5 wicked hearts


Blurb from Amazon.com:

I met someone who changed everything. Matthias. My autistic sister's guardian angel. Honest. Inspiring. Funny. Hot. And immortal. That was the problem. What could I do? I did what any other girl would do-I fell in love with him. Zoe's sister darts in front of cars. Her brother's a pothead. Her parents are so overwhelmed; they don't see Zoe lost in her broken life. Zoe escapes the only way she knows how: partying. Matthias, a guardian sent from Heaven, watches over Zoe's autistic sister. After Zoe is convinced he's legit, angel and lost girl come together in a love that changes destiny. But Heaven on Earth can't last forever. 

My quick wicked thoughts...This book was SO much more than I was originally expecting.  I think I expected a quick, fun read and while it is that...it is also so much deeper.

Why I was tempted to read this...I knew it was about a guardian angel so I was definitely interested.

Cover thoughts...It's pretty cool, you see Matthias's face in the clouds.

Romance Meter...It was an intense 4 out of 5 on the romance scale...while there wasn't a lot of actual touching, the desire to do more was definitely there!

Character and Plot...I have to say this book made me reconsider my first impressions of main characters.  When we first meet Zoe, my first impression was a spoiled, self absorbed, bitchy, unappreciative little teenager...having a pity party because she is needed to help out with her little sister who is autistic.  With that first impression, I stopped...and thought, who am I to judge someone based on their thoughts and actions when I myself have never had that responsibility of being caregiver for someone that is autistic or extremely dependent upon someone else? How do I know that I wouldn't be feeling the same why at her age given the responsibilities she has to deal with?  At that turning point for me, I became very wrapped up in the characters lives and a lot less judgmental.   Matthias is all that a girl could want; attractive, sweet, caring and having a sense of humor.  You can follow Zoe's progression of falling in love with him and fighting that, knowing nothing can come of their relationship, I mean..she's human and he's a guardian angel,  a guardian angel that has never said anything about feeling the same way about her.  Along with fighting her attraction to Matthias, Zoe has to deal with things at home including her brother's addiction to drugs and the care of her little sister. She also has to deal with the drama at school with her best friend and the guy drama, that turns out to include her more than she originally thought.  With all this, this author keeps your attention as you are sucked into Zoe's world.

The Ending...I had a hard time putting this book down to do normal "life" things (like work and sleep, ha ha)...I had to know how this would end.  What could change that they could be together? Is it going to be heart wrenching or a sweet, perfect ending?  Well, let me tell you...the ending was awesome and I was a happy little camper until I read the included sneak peep of the second book, Penitence.  This shook up everything, thanks a lot Jennifer, now I am DYING to get my hands on the next book!


Book Reading Level Info... I rated this book YA/Adult because it has a little more adult situations than your normal YA book in regards to drug and alcohol use and reference to sexual matters. Nothing too graphic tho.

Sequel...YES! Penitence was released April 29th. The third in the series, Absolution is due out October 11, 2010.

Fun Author Fact...Jennifer has 6 children ages 11 to 23, one of which has autism. I believe this is how she writes so beautifully about Abria in the book. She is also the author of Falling for Romeo.
 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa's Bright Night world kit.