Monday, August 23, 2010

Review: Immortal Beloved ARC by Cate Tiernan

Immortal Beloved (Immortal Beloved (Cloth - Trilogy))
Title: Immortal Beloved
Author: Cate Tiernan
Hardcover: 416 pages
Published: Sept 7, 2010
Reading Level: YA
My Copy: Around the World Tours
My rating: 4.5 out of 5 wicked hearts



Blurb (from Amazon.com):

Nastasya has spent the last century living as a spoiled, drugged-out party girl. She feels nothing and cares for no one. But when she witnesses her best friend, a Dark Immortal, torture a human, she realizes something's got to change. She seeks refuge at a rehab for wayward immortals, where she meets the gorgeous, undeniably sexy Reyn, who seems inexplicably linked to her past.

Nastasya finally begins to deal with life, and even feels safe--until the night she learns that someone wants her dead.

Cate Tiernan, author of the popular Sweep series, returns with an engaging story of a timeless struggle and inescapable romance, the first book in a stunning new fantasy trilogy. 


My quick wicked thoughts...An exciting start to a new trilogy, with engaging immortal characters but leaving many unanswered questions.

Why I was tempted to read this...I hadn't heard about it before it was offered on the ARC tour but the blurb reeled me in.

Cover thoughts...it's pretty cool, I like the use of swirling colors

Romance meter...not a ton of action but a lot of build up and I suspect that the future two books will make the build up all worth it!  They are both fighting an attraction that neither think they want.

Characters and plot...I have to say, I really enjoyed this book.  It kept my interest with Nastasya developing as a person from the spoiled, careless girl into someone that wants live...really live, rather than just exist.  The mystery of her connection with Rayn is told thru flashbacks to the past in the form of visions that she has.  Nastasya has always been uncomfortable with magic and discovers she has unusual talents for it when she opens herself up to the possibility.  There are a couple of different plots going on in this books, one of which is resolved at the end of the book...but the others are left for future books, which makes me that much more excited to read them!  Nastasya at the end of the book is 180 degrees from the character at the start, she grows, learns, deals with the past, accepts truths and learns to forgive.  That's a lot to cover in a book and this author does a fantastic job of it.

The ending...was short, sweet, and somewhat abrupt...solving one problem but leaving others open.  According to the author's blog, she working on book #2, currently titled Everlasting Darkness.  I didn't see a release date, but I am ready!

Release info...this doesn't officially release until Sept 7th but Amazon.com is already selling it and I heard it is B&N stores too...so go out and get a copy! 

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa's Bright Night world kit.