Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Review: Ruined - A Ghost Story by Paula Morris




Title: Ruined - A Ghost Story
Author: Paula Morris
Reading Level: YA
Hardcover: 304 Pages
My copy: Obtained from the local library
My rating: 4 out of 5 wicked stars




Blurb:

Rebecca couldn't feel more out of place in New Orleans, where she comes to spend the year while her dad is traveling. She's staying in a creepy old house with her Aunt Claudia, who reads Tarot cards for a living. And at the snooty prep school, a pack of filthy-rich girls treat Rebecca like she's invisible. Only gorgeous, unavailable Anton Grey seems to give Rebecca the time of day, but she wonders if he's got a hidden agenda. Then one night, in Lafayette Cemetery, Rebecca makes a friend. Sweet, mysterious Lisette is eager to talk to Rebecca, and to show her the nooks and crannies of the city.

My thoughts...

I really enjoyed this book and thought it well written.  It has a nice mixture of history, romance, suspense and ghostly tales. Rebecca is a likable character that is not short on personality that has a tendency to get into trouble. I did find it odd that she didn't put forth more of an effort to make friends in her new school, she is fine with being alone everyday.  Anton, the hot guy that is interested in her, much to his friends dismay; is mysterious up to the end of the book.  Of course there are those mean and snotty kids at school that make the story more interesting, ha ha.

The author gives you background on New Orleans history, Mardi Gras and culture of the area that is pretty extensive.  I actually got a little lost and had the tendency to want to skip over some of it because it was so in-depth and foreign to me (even though I live in the south). This history does play a big part of the story but even with my skimming, I understood it all later on in the book. So no worries if you don't want a history lesson part of your ghost story :)

You are pretty much kept in the dark of what is actually going on until the end and I was not disappointed with the ending too much.  I guess I am a series girl, and was wishing there would be a sequel, but if there is, the authors page does not mention it.

The cover is awesome but doesn't really depict a part of the book, at least the ghostly, scantly -clad woman walking.  It does show the graveyard which does play a huge part in the book.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

3 comments:

Colleen said...

Sounds like a book my step daughter would like...great review.

Rex Robot Reviews said...

Lovely review, another for the Tbr pile! =)

Alyssa Kirk said...

My brother just won this from Juju @ Tales of Whimsy. Glad you liked it and I'll look forward to stealing...I mean borrowing it from him!

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa's Bright Night world kit.